Friday, September 5, 2008

Out on a limb

I am a huge Sarah Palin Fan!

I don't express my opinion about politics outside of my most immediate family, and to a very select group of friends who share the same opinion as me. The subject of political affiliation can be divisive, and though I THINK my friends with differing political views would still be my friends, I usually don't care to risk it. Maybe it's cliche to say that the stakes have never been higher in an election, but considering the turbulent times we are in, I believe there's a certain amount of truth in it.

I've been trying to come up with the words to describe why I feel the way I do about John McCain's running-mate, but words have failed me. Thankfully, they have not failed more competent writers, and so I will insert links if you're interested.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB122057381593001741-lMyQjAxMDI4MjAwNTUwNzUzWj.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423443,00.html

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/shared-blogs/ajc/thinkingright/entries/2008/09/16/the_left_is_in_a_quandary_over.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/15/rollins.gamechanger/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/11/beck.palin/?iref=mpstoryview

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122048635407597177.html?mod=fpa_mostpop

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122057310953701695.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080905/cm_csm/ycurtis_1

http://the-spyglass.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-am-sarah-palin-vote-is-mobilizing.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/27899879.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4677799.ece



Palin intrigues me, not because I think a woman should be in the White House for women to feel like they've gained equality in America. I think women who, like me, give up their careers so they can be with their children full time ARE equal and important. But with Palin, I feel I have an advocate for my cause. That sounds pretty grandiose, "my CAUSE!" as if I were Don Quixote. But by it, I mean my desire to raise my children in a safe world, where moral values aren't ridiculed, where they have opportunities. And at the risk of sounding greedy, but honest, where even more of Dave's hard-earned money doesn't go towards wasteful government spending!

I have a lot of respect for Obama, and the brilliant way in which he has run his campaign. I appreciate his desire for change. But my fear is that the change he offers isn't the kind that helps "my cause." On many major issues (abortion, national security, and the economy primarily), I simply disagree with him.

When John McCain was selected over Mitt Romney, I was initially disappointed. Mitt Romney is the embodiment of a guy who knows how to fix things. When McCain didn't pick Romney to be his vice-president, I was again disappointed, until I got to know more about Sarah Palin. His selection of her tells me that he is more in touch with people like me than I previously thought. And as I've gotten to know even more about John McCain, I've been impressed with his willingness to cross party lines, to cooperate and to compromise. His experience as a Prisoner of War, and his years of service as an elected official gives me more cause to respect him as someone who is not in this for his personal ambition.

Politics can be so ugly, and I know people get fired up, so I fear offending people with this post. At the same time, I am, for once, so excited about the prospect of a McCain/Palin presidency, I want to do my small part to help them in their cause.

1 comment:

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

Suszette said...

FULL SUPPORT FOR MCPALIN! LOVE HER---even more than JEN :-)
September 8, 2008 7:50 AM
Rob said...

Hey, thanks for the link; I'm glad you appreciated my post.
September 8, 2008 7:53 AM
julie said...

I love her too. I don't think you were offensive. I like Obama too, but yeah, some of the economy issues I'm not so sure about. Anyway, the point is..you are right. :)
September 8, 2008 8:13 PM
kannie said...

OH, I totally love Sarah Palin, too - she gave me someone to vote FOR in the election!!! You really do put it well. Fiscal responsibility, moral values, children, self-defense... *happy sigh*. And I understand how risky it is to discuss politics. Some friends I disagree with have a sense of humor about it, and some don't, LOL. (I just can't resist popping off - that's why I have separate blogs, LOL - one for issues & one for "real life"...;-)

At any rate, you have a great write-up on why you feel the way you do, and I'm right there with you! [Happens-to-be-a-Girl Power, Baby! ;-) ]
September 12, 2008 9:37 AM
*LaUrA* said...

I hear ya...though I still have a lot of research to do...when Palin came about I finally had a reason to vote! Before that I was not interested much in either candidate and sad to say, I was rather apathetic...and I don't like being indifferent...it is important to understand what is going on and use your vote wisely...so I am glad she piqued my interest again!

And I totally know what you mean about expressing your political views...I was going to put up a "Support Palin" button or something on my blog..but I feared too much persecution so I put that thought away for a while. I have a couple of people who get so fired up to the point or insanity...and I really hate being part of those discussions. Anyways...you stated your views very well and I am glad you did!
September 17, 2008 3:49 PM