Friday, May 21, 2010

My fun morning

I got an urgent phone call late last night--a ticket to see Sarah Palin had become available. With thoughts of the impossibility of finding a babysitter for an event less than 12 hours away, I almost dismissed the call. I can see Sarah any day on the news if I want to, right? But just in case...I sent an email to a friend who thinks she owes me babysitting (and she doesn't--she's way too nice about watching my kids), and to my utter surprise, she emailed me back, saying she was available!

So this morning, to my surprise, I found myself attending a Vaughn Ward rally, in which Palin was to be the guest speaker. (My husband likes Ward, I've been a supporter of his opponent, Raul Labrador, in case you're wondering.)

Here is a photo of the group I went with:

Dave and Tara Nielson, Suszette Rockwood, and Greg Ogden


Suszette and I have been Palin groupies since McCain picked her to be his VP. Suszette grew up in Wasilla, and has a particular affinity for Alaska and it's former Governor. Greg Ogden there on the right is the one that scored the tickets for us.


At first, this was as close a shot as I could get of Palin:


oops, that's Vaughn Ward! Just kidding--sadly for Ward, I think people were there to see SP more so than support his candidacy. He seems like a good guy, though.

OK, here's Sarah:


But after the rally--look at how much closer I was able to get!


The person holding the other camera you can see in this picture is Suszette, who, with my help (I have to steal credit wherever I can), was able to talk to Sarah, get an autograph, a hug, AND a photo with Sarah! You'll have to hear her side of the story--it's so fun! (She actually asked Todd Palin to take the photo before the security guard grabbed the camera and took it for her!) I knew that other people were there who wanted to see Sarah as much as I did, so I got out of the way after I took some close up photos. But before I left, I wanted to tell Sarah and Todd how grateful I am that they put up with so much garbage to do what they do. I barely squeaked out "Thank you!" before I turned to go, and I doubt they even heard. But my girl Suszette got to hang with her "Sista from Wasilla" so it was a good day!

1 comment:

Tiffani said...

How awesome that you got to go! I was debating whether I should go. I had a dr. appointment for Vivian in the morning that went long so that was the end of that idea.

But on the way home, I stopped at a garage sale and bumped into Barbara, your sister-in-law. I asked her if you were at the Palin event but she didn't know. I need to go read Suszette's story about Sarah - I also lived in Wasilla growing up but I was only there from 11-15 years old.

I'm also for Labrador. P.S. I just bought tickets to D.C. for the rally in August!