Thursday, July 15, 2010

Idaho ranks #2, not #49!

Some big study ranked Idaho 49th of 50 in money spent per student in public education, for it's spending of $7000 per student. Utah ranked 50th. New York ranked No. 1, with the state spending a whopping $17,000 per student!

Most of Idaho's news media outlets are reporting this as an embarrassment for us, when in reality, shouldn't New York be embarrassed for wasting so much taxpayer dollars on it's failing education program? This is a case in which there is an inverse relationship between spending and results, but news reports fail to make note of it.

Honestly, I can't tell you how Idaho ranks compared to New York in actual results. But I know that I would rather send my kids to school here. There's a reason that thousands of parents are vying for limited spots in charter schools in New York, as depicted in "The Lottery." But for spending the 2nd lowest amount of my involuntary tax donation, I applaud my state!

No comments: