Friday, March 4, 2011

Education Ideas in South Carolina

http://biggovernment.com/abschaeffer/2011/03/04/sen-demint-taking-the-lead-on-education-reform-in-south-carolina/#more-237180

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/if-they-gave-out-awards-for-good-policy-design/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting read on SC! :)

I like a lot of what they're doing; I'm wary of any State support of homeschooling, simply because it gives them the right to qualify it, but they've got a lot of good things going for 'em! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

I had never thought of it that way. It's a good point, the point of home schooling is to avoid the politicizing of our kids' education.

I do still feel that there should be tax breaks for people who do take the education of their children upon themselves, thereby creating smaller classroom sizes, and using less resources in the public schools.

Speaking of politicizing education, Jeff came home with a piece of paper from school inviting me, as a parent, to go "support our teachers" at the Capitol building this Wednesday. The paper did not indicate whether or not this had anything to do with Tom Luna's proposals, but I cannot help but think that they are related. And if they are, I think it is underhanded for teachers to go ask for "support" without explaining exactly what the purpose of the rally is. It increases my perception of protestors as being ignorant of what they are actually supporting or protesting.