Monday, May 9, 2011

Letter I want to write to my son's school, but am afraid to send for fear of being labled a "kook"

Dear Principal,

For Mother's Day, my son presented me with a card that depicted me jumping on a baby tree, while Darth Vader stood by, sword in hand, ready to punish me with his light saber for abusing nature. Jeff's tender message was, "Happy Muthers day Love Jeff and the Earth Mom."

To me, this card represents the indoctrination of our children for political purposes, and points to the reasons children throughout the country are falling behind in reading, writing, math and science. I toured another school in the valley during "Earth Month," and found posters plastered all over the walls admonishing us to recycle and take care of the Earth. Besides noting the irony that all of these posters were a waste of paper, I saw that every single one of them contained multiple spelling and grammatical errors. The teachers did not only fail to correct the errors on these posters, they put them on display!

Global warming is far from settled science. If we want our children to grow up to save the Earth, as we claim, we will teach them the tools that will help them to make their own scientific discoveries. They should be equipped with the ability to reason, hypothesize, calculate, come to their own conclusions based on objective research, and be able to publish their findings free of spelling errors--not be manipulated with propaganda.

Not only did my seven-year-old son's card reflect the alarmist rhetoric he's been hearing in school (which frankly, has him absolutely terrified), it represents those who seek to undermine traditional values by pitting children against their own parents. On Mother's Day, no less!

Sincerely,

Jeff's Mom


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy... WOW. I mean, WOW. It's not just "let's be nice to Mother Earth," but "Mommy's killing her!!!" WT(I'd use one particular letter, but I try to avoid the language it represents...) ?!?!?!

Wow. I'm willing to bet that, if you sent that, yours wouldn't be the first, last, or only letter they got on the subject. Or maybe it would. But wow... poor Jeffy!!!

And yeah, the irony of making a plethora of posters (and, I'm willing to bet, on bleached cardstock ;) ) while failing to teach BASIC spelling words... wow AGAIN.

(Also, the irony of Darth Vader, destroyer of planets and extinguisher of ALL life, doing the policing... that is funny. ;) )

*sigh* I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this nonsense... I hope you can help Jeff understand what's true and what's not, and how to handle it. Oh, my word...

Tiffani said...

I am hoping you find the courage to take a stand and share your thoughts with the teacher!