I have been following the Occupy Wall Street protests with quite of anxiety. It wasn't very long ago that we watched rioters in Britain "occupy" London, with no apparent aim but to damage and destroy. Here in the U.S.A., OWS-ers also seem clueless as to the reasons they are gathering.
There seems to be two sides to this group. First, there are the hidden organizers--many from various unions. The other half, though, seems to be made up of brainwashed young adults, who have swallowed every liberal, progressive, Marxist line that has been fed to them from grade school on up through college, with the help of a complicit media. Now, they are seeing the fruits of government entitlement programs, bailouts, wasteful spending, and, having never learned free market principles, are blaming the wealthy.
Minus the unruly behavior, these young OWS protesters have a few things in common with the Tea Party. Both groups are seeing that the country is moving towards the edge of a cliff, very quickly, and are understandably scared about the future. One group, my group, sees a way out through returning to the principles the country was founded on. The other group is concerned, but confused.
I read a quote once that said, "Confusion is the beginning of understanding." Perhaps there are some among the crowd who are searching for answers. If they will continue to ask the right questions, I think they will come to see that we are on the same side. Maybe there is hope.
1 comment:
I think I was wrong. While I'm sure that there are some well-meaning OWSers who could benefit from some history and civics lessons, the movement seems to have been hijacked by hippie wanna-be's who missed the 60's.
Post a Comment