We've passed Obama's first 50 days in office, and I don't think there's a single thing that he has done that I agree with. I cannot think of one. Call me an alarmist for feeling so much gloom about this Presidency, but then give me an example of something he has done which will bring us "life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness." If you can, please do.
Off the top of my head:
*He has reversed the ban on federal funding for oversea abortions.
*He has taken the country into greater debt we have ever seen. Don't buy his clever little quip about inheriting the deficit from Bush. He has already outspent Bush's ENTIRE eight years in less than two months. If you don't agree with Bush's spending, how can you spend so much more and continue to pin the blame on Bush?
*He signed another spending bill loaded with "earmarks," barely admitting that the bill went against his campaign promises.
*He treated Great Britain's Prime Minister abominably, presenting our greatest ally with an embarassing gift of 25 DVD's, and cancelling a joint press conference.
*He has allowed school vouchers to be ceased via the Omnibus bill, courtesy Dick Durbin.
*Attacked Rush Limbaugh, misquoting him in order to create a distraction on his disastrous beginning as president.
*He has promised to raise taxes on productive members of society, calling them "the rich" as if it were a bad word.
*He is bailing out bad mortgages with, again, our taxes.
*He is reducing tax incentives for charitable giving.
The list could go on. The latest to hit hit the headlines is his reversal of Bush's policy on Embryonic Stem Cell funding. People mistakenly believe that Bush outlawed research on Embryonic Stem Cells. He did not. He only denied it federal dollars (tax revenue). He said it was in the name of "science." Science showed us that adult stem cells were more effective than Embryonic Stem Cells. If embryonic stem cell research was so promising, how come more private companies haven't been jumping all over it to make their millions? This isn't about Science, Obama.
As if he were reading my mind (it's comforting to know that there are many voices like mine which are being heard), Obama responded by mocking dissenters. Along with Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney and Laura Bush are popular White House targets. Very professional, indeed. Obama suggested that people like me would have him do nothing at all. Actually...he's right.
1 comment:
I'm SO with you on this one!!!
Every couple of days I ask myself if I'm being fair to him - "I said I'd support him in what he does that is constitutional... am I just jumping on this pick-on-Obama bandwagon and ignoring the good things?" And I wrack my brain to think of all the things I'm aware of him doing.
And so far I've come up with the same thing: "uh, nope. I can't praise anything that he's done." I was thinking that nominating Tom Daschle for HHS was nice & open-minded of him; but there was also the "co-opting your opponents" aspect of it, and when Daschle dropped out for irreconcilable differences, it showed me that the bipartisan appearance was anything but genuine. (Not that I'm a fan of Tom Daschle, per se - it just illustrated Obama's inflexibility.)
It's amazing and depressing and steeling all at the same time, LOL.
Post a Comment