After noting Butch Otter named alongside the likes of Bobby Jindal and other honest Republican Governors for speaking out against the stimulus bill, I sent Butch a note supporting him in rejecting bailout money.
Did I speak too soon? Today I got a letter from the Governor in response to my email, and it was confirmed in an article in the Idaho Statesman, describing how he has put together an 8-member panel to decide how to use the stimulus money from the Feds.
In the letter, I was assured none of the money would be used to permantly enlarge (oh, an image of Viagra just flashed across my mind--get it out!) any government programs, just to take advantage of our state's allotment. In the Statesman article, a good section is spent describing how hospitals will benefit, due to increased Medicare funding. That doesn't make sense to me. How is a government program not growing?
Should we accept any money from the Feds? Earmarked money from the latest Omnibus bill, or from the ginormous spendulus plan? Should we reject all money on principle, or should we go along with most politicians who say, "as long as the money is being handed out, we want a piece of it?"
4 comments:
Oh, GRR.
My feeling is that if you haven't got your principles, you've got no sound basis for ANY decisions. Forget the details: if it's wrong, it's still wrong if the Feds do it and your state is hit particularly hard by rampant irresponsibility and its consequences.
I'm disappointed in Gov. Otter... there's a lot of pressure, especially in our state, to bend out of "compassion." But imposing socialism and surrendering our state to Federal control is NOT compassion.
BTW - that panel was only taking suggestions for about 72 hours, if I understand correctly, LOL - I saw something late Sunday night, and they were taking suggestions through Wednesday. Hurry-hurry-hurry! Amazing.
And yeah - "how is a government program not growing" with increased Medicare? There's government for ya. Business as usual.
I'm kind of a freak, of course, but I'd say, "no thanks." On principle. Principles are the only things that keep us from getting "tossed to and fro with every wind of [policy]."
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com
LDS view
www.mytitleofliberty.blogspot.com
Jen- I just found your blog from Katie Davis's blog. I love that you write about politics. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts.
HI TIFFANY!!!
I'm so excited to hear from you--it's been a long time!
Post a Comment