Big Journalism article on homeschooling.
I have not made the leap of faith into home schooling territory myself, but I admire those who do, and believe that their decision should be defended.
Meanwhile, news stations in Idaho are spreading alarm about education cuts proposed by Governor Otter.
Personally, I am not worried about this. I fail to see why education costs so much--so much can be done with pencil and paper, good teachers and involved parents. (As of yet, I don't know that there is a connection to pay scale and quality teaching in Idaho, but if there is, then I will allow for the need of money to keep good teachers.)
I think that in home schooling, the role of teacher and involved parent is combined--how efficient is that?! Instead of the media bashing home schoolers, and the government trying to regulate home schooling, they should be trying to incentivize it. I propose tax cuts and vouchers for any parent who willingly takes their child out of the over-crowded, "under-funded" public school system to train their own children.
2 comments:
Holy cow, what an article... and WHAT. A. QUOTE!!! That woman has a great grasp of the anti-homeschool propaganda, and demonstrably little to no grasp of the reality. Wow.
Thank you so much for the article!
You're right on about how homeschooling is really efficient - I wonder how much of the inefficiency of public schooling at the institutional level is by design.
Pay-wise, I'm not sure of the extent to which No Child Left Behind guidelines have affected local schools, but I know teachers were having major heartburn over it because it *does* link pay to "performance" - specifically, student performance on a Federally-sanctioned assessment.
"We're from the government, and we're here to help!" ;)
amen :)
Post a Comment