To blog, or not to blog (politics), that is the question.
Cons:
-It is time-consuming.
-It is an uncomfortable subject.
-Staying up-to-date on the issues leaves me discouraged, cynical and pessimistic.
-I fear offending people who disagree with me.
-Doubt I'm reaching anyone here.
-Getting bullied.
Reasons to continue:
-Going public has helped me find like-minded friends.
-The responsibility to be informed, so I can make informed decisions.
-Desire to counter the negative stereotype given to conservative women--no, I'm not an uneducated, backwood-sy, greedy, barefoot and pregnant, toothless woman in a gingham dress--though if I were, I'd have rights, too.
-The wish to counter my fear with action--even if insignificant.
Perhaps it is the hormone imbalance, but perhaps it is rapid pace at which I am watching the Government spend money it doesn't have to buy things we don't need or want, or the controversy over same-sex marriage and abortion, or the threat of terrorism that has me feeling genuine fear for the future--my children's future. If we gave 100% of our money to the government, I don't think it would be enough to pay for the debt we have accrued. And yet, we keep digging ourselves deeper in the name of education even though test scores continue to drop, in the name of welfare even though the poverty level remains the same, in the name of Planet Earth even though science has to be distorted to "prove" climate change.
This blog is a safer place to share my thoughts--I haven't been trolled here yet--as opposed to facebook, where I was told to "stop fearmongering and go back into the kitchen." You know what is sad to me about that? That telling someone to go into the kitchen should be considered an insult. Perhaps if more mothers spent more time in the kitchen, at home, with their children, the trolls wouldn't be clamouring for Big Brother to buy their health insurance, their meals, their homes and their self-esteem. Should I "go back into the kitchen" and take care of my little brood instead of trying to save the world?
4 comments:
Well, no, I would say this is a great outlet for you. For myself I have taken a vacation from activism sice I gave birth 3 months ago. I normally stay up to date and keep myself informed, but I just can't find the energy to do it lately.
Don't worry though, I'll be right beside you offending those who choose to be offended pretty soon.
Thanks, Cheri. You are one of the like-minded friends I was referring to! But take it easy and enjoy that beautiful baby boy!
I've been mulling this post and a response (and of course, my own feelings! ;) for a while...
For now, I've got time to say a big, "I HEAR YA, SISTER!!!" ;)
Keep up the blogging about political topics! Don't let the cons get you down. I haven't written about them in a while because they come so fast and then I miss the opportunity or don't make the time to sit down and really explain myself. It's easier to write about the fluffy stuff!
Back in the early summer I had some not so great comments from a close friend on my blog. He is ultra-left (twins with Obama). I didn't understand it. So we chatted on the phone and through emails - let me tell you it got me no where, actually more frustrated and sort of tainted our friendship. I felt like he was talking down to me - he was highly educated in the academia world but just didn't have any common sense, but yet we still have the same religious faith. I was totally frustrated...but I don't care. I am going to continue speaking my mind. We have to continue to fight for truth and freedom.
Hang in there!
Post a Comment