No one in their right mind would publicly say, "I don't support our local schools," (the opposite of the bumper sticker and fliers I'm seeing all around town in support of raising property taxes to raise $14 million for schools in Boise), but I am going to say it here on my blog. I do not support a tax increase to raise money for schools.
1. Everyone likes to say, "Think outside the box." But when it comes to schools, very few people can think outside the box of public education. I believe people should be able to keep what they earn. If we had more personal discretionary income, and privatized education, schools would be more competitive, and our children would be more competitive in the real world.
2. Schools operate better when they have less money. I really believe this. When they are forced to budget, they stop buying things our kids don't need. Library books are a popular item we always "need" to buy. I have a huge beef with our school's library. I'll tell you about it sometime. But I wish they would quit forcing my children to borrow books. Also, experimental programs, like sending 9th graders to high school (and this, after spending a ton of money building a new junior high?), get put on hold.
3. I just attended an informative meeting about the potential of F-35's gracing the skies of Boise. If they come here, many schools, including the one my kids attend, will not be able to operate at their current locations. Why do I want to spend money on schools that may have to be deserted anyway? I wish I had a vote regarding the F-35's. All I can do is write letters to representatives who ignore me. But I do have a vote concerning the levy, and I'm voting no.
1 comment:
I totally agree with you on the tax levy. I have had to defend my position with friends. Three of my children attend a public charter school that creatively budgets their money and makes it stretch as far as possible. I remind my friends that this school does not receive local tax property (like theirs) and we do just fine, in fact are probably more ahead than the regular schools. Oh, it made me so mad, especially because we have several properties in Meridian and Boise that will cost hundreds of more dollars per year...and I had no say in the matter.
Post a Comment