Sarah Palin and Susan B. Anthony
"The Proposal" and Cinema's portrayal of women
I came upon these two articles in the last two days, and it has me thinking about feminism. Apparently, a lot of people are thinking about it, and I think many are unsettled by it.
My theory is that Palin's entry into the spotlight has been a catalyst for the discussion. By one definition, she is a feminist: she works outside the home, in Politics, of all places. But she broke the stereotype of the ruthless, man-eating harpie when she was picked by McCain.
Dave has said that I only like Palin because she's a woman, and I said that I liked her because she was the more conservative and exciting member of the McCain/Palin team. But there is some truth in Dave's assessment.
I considered myself to be a feminist as a teenager. There were few things I hated more than being told that my role was to grow up and become a mommy and homemaker (the second term still chills my spine to some degree, I must admit--to give up my talents and interests in pursuit of a clean home, *shudder*).
But then I had a change of heart, and went ahead and did it--married and quickly started having children. And because I love my husband and kids, I strongly feel that the best place for everyone is Dave at work, and me at home with the kids. That because even though I'm no holly-homemaker, I'll still raise my kids better than anyone else, because they're my kids.
Even so, I still yearn for the public life on occasion. When I see my former colleagues, I can't help but notice their comments, "Oh, you're pregnant AGAIN?!" and I know that some feel a little scorn for my decision. And I do miss being in the loop. I miss being on the name of teacher lists, or being on anyone's gig list.
I really haven't given up my musical pursuits, albeit I'm going about it slowly. And I think this is why I am fascinated with Sarah Palin. She's a mother who is also pursuing the public life. She faces scorn, a lot more serious than I do when I step out of the house. Anyway, it just makes me think.
No comments:
Post a Comment