Some time ago, I saw the Stockdale family on the news. They were recipients of a new house, courtesy a television program that donates and builds houses to those who need them. And this family does. Their four children, in a genetic anomaly, each inherited a rare blood disease.
Unfortunately, their problems are not over. The husband and father has now been struggling with cluster, or "suicide" headaches. I feel bad, really bad. I get headaches now and again, and though they aren't serious, they get in the way of productivity and clear thinking. I had to leave Disneyland early and miss the fireworks because of a headache, so believe me, I'm no fan!
While I feel saddened by their trials, I am disturbed by the numerous comments flying around Facebook, and every news story covering their situation. The stories have focused on the former employer's lack of generosity, and the mean, terrible insurance companies which have denied Ryan an expensive, experimental treatment. This article explains things more clearly.
The general outcry is that the employer and/or the insurance company should pay. That this is a good example of why we need a public health care option. And here's what I want to say:
"Do you think you are being charitable by demanding that someone ELSE cover the cost? IF you are so concerned, I invite you to dig into your own pockets, and give some money to this needy family, and then ask yourself how generous you are!"
The fact is, current public health care options Medicare and Medicaid do not cover the treatment needed by this family. The proposal in the works will likely hinder more families like the Stockdales from receiving the help they need. And for the inconvenience, we will all be digging into our pockets to pay for a program that will costs trillions of dollars.
In the meantime, I am looking for a way to help. I'll let you know more about it when I figure out how I can best do that.
1 comment:
KUDOS!!!
GIANT Kudos for sticking to principle in the face of overwhelming pressure to "help" - stories like this are heart-rending, but the policies and angry mob moments they generate are, if possible, worse.
THANK YOU for being a great example of standing for principle in *real* charity...
Hope you don't mind that I just tweeted about this... OUTSTANDING.
Post a Comment