Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The SPEECH!

Obama's Address to School Children

My alarm over the news that Obama would be addressing our nation's school children has been mocked, derided, and called "silly."

Perhaps I haven't taken a "middle of the road" approach. I believe parents who share similar points of view are like-minded people who disagree with Obama's policies and politics, and frankly, don't trust him.

First of all, this man has never stopped campaigning. Were I as conniving as I believe him to be, I wouldn't hesitate to try and "reach" those impressionable young minds between the ages of 17 and 15, those kids who will be voting in the 2012 election. I wouldn't put it past him.

Second of all, the manner in which this speech was announced didn't fit the definition of "transparency," as have none of laws or executive orders he has signed. I learned about this on Fox news. My own school district didn't have time or see fit to inform me. And the fact that there were two lesson plans, the original, and an edited one, revealed to me ulterior motives.

Having read through the entire speech, I cannot see anything overtly wrong with it. The message of personal responsibility is a valuable one. If only he held his own advisers to that same standard.

Some small points of contention:

All people in politics really love to glorify the single mother. Maybe it would have been useful in his speech if he told girls to avoid teenage pregnancy so they could finish school. Just a thought.

The plug for "solving skills you learn in science and math to cure diseases like cancer and AIDS, and to develop new energy technologies and protect our environment." Curing cancer is great, go for it. AIDS is sad, which is again why kids should be encouraged to live chastely. (But that would be too political, I know.) And more environment? That is SO old news. Earth Day gets more love from teachers than all other Holidays and subjects combined. Obama's reference is but a drop in the bucket. But I can't ignore the fact that scientists who oppose the "overwhelming" evidence of Global Warming are intimidated and silenced.

And while Obama makes a big push for kids staying in school, and puts in a little endorsement of the work he's doing to make schools better, his own daughters won't have to listen to this speech! And kids who can avoid the public school system through homeschooling or vouchers and private schools will still have a major advantage.

No comments: