Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Good Intentions

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/28/obamas-extended-school-year-dire-economic-effects-critics-claim/

I honestly don't think that President Obama is trying to ruin our kids' lives or the tourism industry with his latest idea to expand school hours, days or weeks to match those of other countries. But I am opposed, and not just because I don't want to follow in the footsteps of those other countries who, in spite of their higher test scores, still have worse economies than ours.

First of all, I am only sending my kids to school so that they, or I, can avoid being labeled weird by their/my peers. The fact that Jeff has already un-learned the alphabet in two weeks of Kindergarten has me re-thinking my choice, though. What else will he un-learn at school? My plan was to take the free time away from school to teach him the things he really needs to know, like math, science, reading, music and morality. More time at school means less time for me.

There is no second of all, the first one pretty much covered it.

No comments: