Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

Mixed feelings accompanied my decision to watch the Inauguration of President Obama this morning. With so many things to do around the house, why watch an inauguration when I've never watched one before?

I have mixed feelings still. Part of me was gratified to see the optimism of the crowd at the Washington Mall. I hope that their hopes are justified. A part of me is very fearful about the future.

Before I go into detail about the President's speech, two things must be mentioned.

The highlight of the event for me: Itzhak Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, Andy McGill (clarinet) and Gabriela Montero, pianist playing a John William's arrangement of "Air and Simple Gifts." I hope I can get my hands on that music someday.

Comic relief in Reverent Lowry's benediction:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.

How sad that this "poem" will be remembered more than the one given by Elizabeth Alexander.


And now, from Obama's speech:

I thank President Bush for his service to our nation, as well as the generosity and cooperation he has shown throughout this transition. Love or hate Bush, he has followed his convictions. And in spite of all of the mean things Obama said about him, Bush has treated Obama with graciousness and congeniality. Dare I reference the last transition, in which the Clintons looted the White House?

Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America - they will be met. It is possible that after a few months in the White House, Obama will find that he is not as able to break away from Bush policies as easily as he thought it would be.

On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics. Having chosen a number of Cabinet members from among Bill Clinton's old colleagues, I am skeptical.

This is the journey we continue today. We remain the most prosperous, powerful nation on Earth. Our workers are no less productive than when this crisis began. Our minds are no less inventive, our goods and services no less needed than they were last week or last month or last year. Our capacity remains undiminished. I think this is what John McCain meant when he said that the fundamentals of the economy were good.

For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act - not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together. We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. And all this we will do. These are wonderful ideas--but what will be the price tag? I am afraid that I am cynic who has found the ground shifted from under my feet.

The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government. I beg to differ--I believe the question of the government's size is still a very pertinent one. However, I fully support the last bit about spending wisely and being held accountable for public money spent.

know that America is a friend of each nation I believe this is true. But not every nation is a friend to us.

We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you. Very well said.

To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it. We should keep this in mind when considering Ethanol production--many farmers are compelled to grow (subsidized) corn (using a lot of energy to do so) which will not go towards feeding people but for so-called energy reduction.

For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. But what if crazy Government intervention, such as the outlandish safety testing of all children's products, makes it impossible for us to achieve self-reliance?

This is the source of our confidence - the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I was starting to think the Reverend had actually lost his marbles during the benediction, LOL... and I had to disengage after the first part. "Sorry, I'm not 'amen-ing' all of that..." But the first part was absolutely beautiful.

I really enjoyed the musical number, too - what a beautiful piece, and made all the more remarkable by the chilly air! :-)

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

I can't even imagine having to play in that weather! I saw that the pianist had gloves on, but no one else...I'm amazed they could move their fingers!

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

And I agree, until the end, I thought the benediction was quite nice.

Sharlon said...

I felt a lot the same way. This election and it's outcome has been a very interesting one. What I found most interesting was that everyone was so into how this was such an important day in history just because we now have a black man as our President. I tend to be a little more conservative than that. In four years from now we'll know if today was anymore important than any of the other 43 inaugurations our country has seen. It's not the color of your skin that makes us who we are it's what we do to shape the world around us that is important. I hope now that he has the job he can be effective and accomplish what he has promised, but I'm not holding my breathe.
I loved the music too. It was awesome and very moving. I can't imagine playing in that kind of cold, sure I twirled a flag in very cold weather, but I dropped my flag when my hands were numb! What amazing artists!! I hope they release the music as well, even if only as a recording. I would love to have it on my iPod!!

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

Sharlon--I agree, I don't think we can consider ourselves above the race issue until we are all judged by our character and accomplishments. I am hopeful that Obama's presidency will help cool racial tensions, and we can move on from that.

Personally, I hope he isn't able to keep his campaign promises! At least the ones I didn't agree with.