Thursday, January 8, 2009

thinking out loud...

Things I want to explore in my "Thesis", if I can ever put together enough sources to back my positions:

Public education methods: "Traditional" vs. John Dewey (an old argument, but not all that out-dated)

Do we really need ART in our public schools? "Support ART in our schools" is a popular position, but is the defense convincing? Why is Classical music losing ground (or so we hear) year after year? If it is true, is it the fault of schools?

Are the failures of our children compared to those in other countries fairly pinned on our schools? While I am planning to be critical of Education in America, I don't think it is to blame for all of our problems, and I believe throwing more money at it isn't going to help.

Public vs. Charter vs. Private vs. Homeschooling and my dilemma. While disillusioned by the rhetoric which gives so much credence to Public Education, I am not wholly opposed to it. Partly because Boise doesn't offer a ton of options without a ton of inconvenience to myself. I believe that kids do need peers, and they benefit from other perspectives besides mine. I also cannot deny that as a parent, I have already gone against conventional wisdom that says TV is bad for kids...so can I be entrusted with their learning? Confession that I still have a lot of self-serving ambitions that are "on hold" until my kids are in school. Will I be able to look at this objectively?

No comments: