Friday, January 2, 2009

What party do I belong to?

I have been confused at the number of arguments going around about the merits of a two-party system, or the lack thereof. I'm with many who consider themselves "conservative" as opposed to Republican, but I also recognize that "conservatives" alone don't have the power or money to make a difference against the status quo. While most of the Libertarian philosophy rings true to me (though I disagree with some), it is looked at with so much contempt by the media, it's a real uphill battle. The truth is that each and every citizen has a different idea of how things should be run. Actually, some have no idea at all, but for those of us who do (and I admit my understanding is limited), we have to work with one another to come up with solutions, and we will not be able to get our way 100% of the time. Unfortunately, conservatives will not be able to get our way 40% of the time in the next few years, and my best hope is that "we" will be able to prevent extreme liberalism from running rampant. Anyway...these are thoughts I have been forming as I have been reading informed blogs like Kannie's, and watching the news. The WSJ had an article I read today that I can support.

2 comments:

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

note: my math and percentages are just me blabbing, and have nothing to do with real numbers.

Unknown said...

I've been feeling the same way!!!

I'm frustrated enough, actually, by the expanding (and shifting) definition of "conservative" that I'm trying to get myself out of that generalized category now, too, much like I don't like being lumped as "evangelical" or "born-again" because of some of the things that those groups represent. The adjectives apply, but the categories don't, you know?

But anyway, I'm realizing that there are things (like everything) that I'm not going to be able to get my way about - at least while people are so woefully and willfully ignorant as 52% (and more) are... and while there are some things that I can compromise on, there seems to be ever more that I absolutely cannot yield.

I'm resolved to keep making my voice heard and trying to inform more people... persuade enough people of our founding, true principles, that we can unite around those, at least.

Additionally, local government provides a much more potentially responsive forum, so I'm getting more involved there... it's energizing and frustrating at the same time. :-)